Desert Healthcare District Board adopts new 5-year Strategic Plan
Read the complete Strategic Plan by clicking here.
The Desert Healthcare District and Foundation Board unanimously voted Tuesday, Oct. 26, to approve a new Strategic Plan.
Nearly two years in the making, the Strategic Plan identifies the Healthcare District and Foundation's priorities, goals and strategies for the Coachella Valley -- with consideration given to the social determinants of health prevalent in the community. It is essentially the framework to inform and support the Board's future funding, program and policy decisions.
Seven new goals have been established in the plan:
- Proactively increase the financial resources the Desert Healthcare District and Foundation (DHCD/F) can apply to support community health needs
- Proactively expand community access to primary and specialty care services
- Proactively expand community access to behavioral/mental health services
- Proactively measure and evaluate the impact of DHCD/F-funded programs and services on the health of community residents
- Be responsive to and supportive of selected community initiatives that enhance the economic stability of the District residents
- Be responsive to and supportive of selected community initiatives that enhance the environment in the District's service area
- Be responsive to and supportive of selected community initiatives that enhance the general education of the District's residents
Among other significant changes in the plan is a one-word addition, "Equitably," to the District and Foundation's vision statement. This change reflects the agency's focus in recent years, particularly during its COVID-19 response through the Coachella Valley Equity Collaborative, and re-emphasizes a commitment to advocate for the health and wellness of all valley residents going forward.
The vision statement reads:
"Equitably connecting Coachella Valley residents to health and wellness services and programs through resources and philanthropy, health facilities, information and community education, and public policy."
About the Desert Healthcare District and Foundation
The Desert Healthcare District is a local government agency formed in 1948. Its mission is to achieve optimal health at all stages of life for all District residents. The District includes more than 400,000 residents and encompasses the entire Coachella Valley. The District and Desert Healthcare Foundation, together, are one of the largest funders in the valley. These funds are used to assist residents -- especially the underserved -- in accessing vitally needed resources, such as primary and behavioral healthcare, housing, food, and transportation to medical appointments.